Pages

Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Tag! I'm It!

Sam (from Eatonia, Saskatchewan) who blogs at Quilting Curve has tagged me in a "get to know the quilter" game. I feel a little sheepish even being considered a quilter since I'm really quite a novice but since I have actually finished a few quilts for real, I guess that qualifies me as a quilter ... even if I do feel like a poser!  

First, I guess, I have to list 11 random things about myself. Then I have to answer 11 questions Sam asked. And then I have to tag some other quilter/bloggers.

By the way, Sam's HERON QUILT - of her own design - is absolutely stunning!

Read more after the jump if you're interested. Just click the "read more" link below.



So here we go. Part 1. Eleven random things about me.
  1. I grew up on a Saskatchewan farm and am so glad that I did.
  2. I love and have always loved to be surrounded by books.
  3. I miss having a dog and all the more now that we don't have cats anymore either.
  4. My kids - Hannah and Luke - amaze me so much! I often marvel that they're really our children. Maybe we just drew a super lucky stork card. They both live far away from here but I don't worry about them because they're both doing great.
  5. I've been reading about quilts and studying them for almost 30 years and it has taken until less than 2 years ago for me to actually sew my first quilting seam on a machine. I was terrified of a sewing machine. Strange considering my Mom sewed almost everything I wore.
  6. I fight the notion of perfectionism and feel so liberated when I can let go the notion that anything has to be "perfect".  I'm getting better at being liberated.
  7. I used to read the newspaper every morning for years until 2 years ago when I suddenly stopped. I don't miss it. If there's something I ought to know, surely someone will tell me.
  8. My blog didn't start as a quilting blog and I'm not sure it really is one quite yet, though that's the direction I would most like to go with it. Full time work gets in the way of all the quilting I wish I could be doing.
  9. I'm not very good with plants. When one appears to be actually thriving and I get a little excited it usually takes a turn for the worse. I should not be allowed to be responsible for indoor plants.
  10. Housekeeping is not my forte. Whatever.
  11. My husband Kevin (of 27 years) is both good to and for me. He is almost always cheerful and full of energy, enthusiasm, love, and silliness. 
And now for Sam's questions for me ...

1. Did you have an artistic background leading up to quilting?


Isn't everyone an artist? Honestly, no formal artistic background. I think of my parents as artists even though neither of them had any formal artistic training either. They are the most resourceful people I've ever known and are so creative. My Dad is no longer alive but the things he and Mom have made are so nice to have around. Honestly, there's nothing they couldn't make, fix, or repurpose, big or small. They are and always will be my creative heroes!
2. What would you change about your quilting studio/space?
Uhhhh ... I would find somewhere other than our dining room and living room to quilt in. How I would love anything remotely similar to a "studio". *sigh*
3. If you could describe your quilting style in one word would what would that word be?
Novice.  Or, if I must get past my insecurities ... Modern ... whatever that means.
 4. Fess up, how many UFO's do you have? (LOL you don't have to answer that if it hurts)
Seven. Four finished and seven left to finish.
  1. The first quilt top I made using a crap sewing machine.
  2. A baby quilt I made next using the same crap machine but at least it's basted and ready to finish.
  3. A yo-yo quilt. I've made about 600 yoyo's and have another 600 or so to go.
  4. A queen-sized vintage handkerchief quilt for my daughter. Eleven of the handkerchiefs are hand appliqued on and I have 9 to go.
  5. A child-sized vintage handkerchief quilt. I'm part way through the hand quilting and then I just need to add a ruffle.
  6. A baby quilt for my nephew's baby. The quilt top is done (a square in square design) and I just need to baste and quilt it. 
  7. I've started a plus quilt and I hope to have the top finished this weekend.  Then I'd better stop cutting fabric and start finishing. The thing is, I've never machine quilted and I'm a little afraid to start. I'm going to bit the bullet, though, within the next week or so.
5. What inspires you to quilt? (show and tell, daily objects, dreams, blogs etc...). 

Love inspires me to quilt. Love of family and friends and the love that I know is sewn into a every quilt. I do dream fantastic quilts. I just have to remember to draw them quick before the dreams get lost.
6. What kind of information quilt wise, have you had trouble finding on the internet?
I can't think of a single thing I haven't been able to find on the internet when I've gone looking. That said, I love having quilt books nearby, too.
7. What is your favorite organization technique? (quilt wise)
I lay everything out on the floor or a bed and then take a photo which I keep handy on my laptop for when I start sewing. The photo serves as my map. It has saved me so many times from getting my pieces messed up!
8. What colour would you like to paint in your quilting studio/space?
I would have a hard time choosing, I know that. I change my mind about colour by the moment, though I would want the kind of colours that would make the room feel bright, cheery, and airy. Probably some yellows and whites in the mix.
9. If you could visit any country or place where would you go? 
I've never been to Europe and I've always joked with my kids that someday they'll take me to Paris. So I'll say Paris, though honestly, I would like to go pretty much anywhere. I find every place I've been fascinating in one way or another. I'm curious about the world.
10. What is your favorite meal right now?
Hamburger soup is hitting the spot.
11. Where do you buy your fabric?
At Periwinkle Quilt Shop and from several online shops.

And now to tag some others who may or may not want to play along. Like Sam, I encourage those I've tagged to do as they please and to not feel obligated to take part. If it's not fun for you, don't do it. As I understand it, I'm to choose quilt bloggers who have less than 200 followers.

Okay. I'm having trouble finding any (let alone 11) quilt bloggers who fit the criteria and need a little more time. Awl be bach!

  1. Linda at Scrapmaster
  2. Patti at Retired to Quilt
  3. Kate at By the Babbling Brooke


And here are your 11 questions:
  1.  Of which of your quilts are you most proud?
  2.  What's the first quilt you remember fondly?
  3.  Is Christmas for you typically a big, boisterous holiday or a quiet, peaceful one?
  4.  Do you usually use quilt patterns or do your own thing?
  5.  Describe what your favourite day at home might be like.
  6.  What kind of sewing machine do you use and are you happy with it?
  7. Do you sew things besides quilts? If so, what?
  8. Do you have a favourite fabric line or fabric designer?
  9. What quilting technique that you're a little afraid of would you most like to master?
  10. Have you ever put a quilt of yours in a show?
  11. What was your most noteable "aha quilting moment"?
And ... the tag game rules:
  • Every tagged person has to tell 11 things about themselves.
  • The person who tagged you asked 11 questions over at their blog, answer these questions in your post.
  • Ask 11 questions of the 11 people you tag (any quilting blogger with under 200 followers).
  • Mention the person who tagged you (but don't for goodness sake tag them back!)

Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

  1. I think the best thing is to just take the plunge and pick some fabric, cut it up and sew. It is very liberating.....I have been a sewer since I was 12 and I am kinda older now with a lot of years of in between. We all start somewhere and we may not like what we first make but that is okay. The problem these days is that with blogs we almost feel obligated to show everything we make, whether successful or not. I decided early in the game that not everyone would see all that I do and that I would not get overwhelmed by what other people accomplished as they posted all their successful projects online. I also decided that those fabrics I have been saving for the “perfect” project needed to be used. Now. No more hoarding. If I think it is right for what I am making at the time, I use it. So far I haven’t regretted it.

    It has been delightful getting to know you via your blog and I look forward to following along!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great answers Heather! Your right everyone is an artist. I have believed that for a while that we all create. It was fun reading your answers and questions too. Thanks for the plug on my quilt *blush*. Thanks again Heather.

    ReplyDelete
  3. When you want to create some products that offer more functionality and usability, garnbutiken

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the word verification thing. Without the comment spammers are relentless!

Thanks for commenting!