Pages

Thursday, November 4, 2010

My Talented Mom

Mom was in the city today for just a short while. She'd come in with Gary, who had a medical appointment at the University Hospital and, conveniently for me, they were just finished by lunch time so I was able to meet them for lunch. I work in the building next door to the Cancer Centre -- at the Centre for the Study of Co-operatives in the Diefenbaker Canada Centre.

Look what Mom made me! She sewed me this gorgeous fuchsia wool cape! She lined it with soft, cozy black fleece. It's very warm and will keep the wind out. And, bonus for me, it will be much easier to get in and out of it than my winter coats, what with the trouble I still have with my shoulders. I LOVE IT!

I wore it home from work and, on the way to my car, I noticed that it had pockets. I stuck my hands inside and ... HELLO ... there was something in there! It was 3 acorns and one had separated from it's cap. Mom knew I was looking for some acorn caps to fit on top of some needle and wet-felted balls I had made. I tell you, oak trees, hence acorn caps are not easy to come by in this city. In fact, I haven't found any yet. I even checked out the Peterson Garden on College and Preston (it's a tree garden, with all kinds of varieties ... but no acorn producing oaks). If anyone knows of a place where I can find acorn caps before the snow falls, please tell me! I would like to make a whole bowl of little felted wool acorns. I've seen pictures and they're so cute! Take a look here, here ... and here. If someone can find me some acorn caps, I'll gladly make you a handful of woolly acorns, too. Doesn't the natural acorn with the little hole in it look like a mini birdhouse?

It has been CRAZY at work and, hopefully, things will mellow down to some form of normal after this week. No wonder I'm exhausted. Everyone in my office is, I'm sure.

I know Ricardo is in town right now! All the way from Costa Rica! We look forward to seeing him. I hope Kathy, Darrel and Lynn are planning a family event (hint hint).

On a tragic note, I was so sad to read in today's paper that Brad McKaig has died. He had such a nasty cancer. He was only 2 years older than me. Too young to be gone.
Posted by Picasa

Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,
    We have acorns on our oak tree, but they are itty bitty ones. I'm not sure of the scale of the ones in your photos. I'll gather some for you, assuming I can find some in all our backyard mess!
    Laurel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laurel!

    That would be awesome! I'm so thrilled to know that there's an oak tree around and not just anywhere but in a friend's backyard! I think even itty bitty acorn caps will work for my purpose. I only made a few felted balls to get the hang of it and since then I've been holding off until I can get my hands on some acorn caps so I'll have a better idea of what size to make. I'm so excited!! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the word verification thing. Without the comment spammers are relentless!

Thanks for commenting!