Still, the ones I made today, while not the same, were VERY good. I'm happy with them and will try them again, experimenting with flavours. When they came out of the oven the smell of lemon in the house was lovely and they taste lemony, too. If you're not so keen on lemon, you can simply omit it and I'm sure they'd still be just as good, just different. Orange peel might be good, too. And, I should mention that one of my most cherished kitchen tools is my zester pictured here. It is EVER so handy.
Here's the recipe I used, with variations, from Epicurious.com. It has a great rating and lots of good tips and suggestions for variations in the comments. I used currents because I had some that needed to be used up.
*Note: I tried using cranberries instead of blueberries and orange zest instead of lemon zest and I think they were even better!Meyer Lemon and Dried Blueberry Scones (without Meyer lemons nor dried blueberries according to Heather)
- 3 cups self-rising flour (I used 3 cups regular flour, 3 tsp baking powder, 3/4 tsp salt --- as recommended in the comments)
- 1/2 cup plus 1 & 1/2 Tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 cup (1 & 1/2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 & 1/2 cups dried wild blueberries (I used currents but I see lots of people used dried cranberries or fresh blueberries)
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- 1 & 1/2 Tablespoons finely grated Meyer lemon peel or regular lemon peel