Pages

Sunday, October 31, 2010

Taking Care of Succulents

Even when my pre-cancer brain was functioning at capacity, I wouldn't have remembered the care instructions for my succulent bowl. I'm putting them here so I can find them again and maybe someone out there will appreciate them as well.

  1. Plant in the appropriate soil. Sunshine Mix #4 or #8 or Pro Mix.
  2. Plant in a terracotta pot that has a hole in the bottom for drainage. If the pot doesn't have a hole, make one with a dremel. Terracotta is ideal because it soaks up a lot of moisture and succulents need their roots to dry out.
  3. Through spring and summer, water when the pot becomes dry - about once a week.
  4. Through spring and summer, fertilize with 20-20-20 each time you water with a ratio of 1 tsp to one watering can. Fertilize less beginning in the fall. In September and October, water once or twice without fertilizer. From November until the end of February, no fertilizer at all. On March 1, start fertilizing every time you water.
  5. If you see bugs, used "End All".
These instructions still leave me with questions, some of which were answered at the planting session at Solar Gardens. I remember bits and pieces but will have to look for more information. I do recall that in the winter, its' best to put them in the sunniest spot in the house. Of course, best to watch to make sure they're not getting too much intense sunshine, which can burn them. If that's the case, you can filter the sun a bit with some sheer fabric or set the bowl back from the window a bit. If the roots aren't drying out enough, set your succulent bowl right on top of the register for a while. I also remember something about fertilizer. I think I was told that if the purplish succulents start to turn green, it's because they're getting too much fertilizer. Or is it that they're not getting enough fertilizer? I don't trust my memory.

This garden guide to succulents reminds me that I should replant my succulents every year. I must remember to do that next spring.
Posted by Picasa

Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry for the word verification thing. Without the comment spammers are relentless!

Thanks for commenting!