Thursday, January 21, 2010

It's a Wonderful Life!

I've been having a pretty exciting day, I tell ya!! And I haven't even left the house! I'm SO not high maintenance!

My day started with my being disappointed that I couldn't get back to sleep this morning. I decided to just get up and accept that I'll probably be tired during the day. But I was oddly energetic! For the first time in ... I can't even remember when ... I felt like doing stuff ... anything ... just DOING! So I thought I'd better embrace the feeling while it lasted and I made 2 batches of muffins while uploading some music for my iPod. I listened to music and baked and sang in the kitchen. Having a grand time! And then I noticed that my legs weren't feeling quite as "heavy" and stiff as they usually seem. Generally I was moving around better than usual. My left leg almost even felt halfway normal! I was in such a good mood, too, and not at all tired even though I'd only got just less than 8 hours of sleep. I usually need more than 8 hours these days if I want to avoid an afternoon nap ... and I ALWAYS want to avoid afternoon naps! I'm not a happy napper!

I speculated during the day why my limbs might be feeling substantially better. I thought it might be the Arimidex finally clearing out of my body. Maybe the walking with Erin on Tuesday night helped. I had commented to Kevin last night even that my legs were feeling much more limber then, too. Hmmmm ...

Then, at 4:30, my Naturopath phoned. She'd done some research and had some other recommendations for me, such as increasing my fish oil intake, taking 2 Tbsp of ground flax seeds per day, increasing the amount of curcumin, start taking a mushroom extract, and stop taking iodine now that I'm finished radiation. She asked me if I'd noticed any difference in my bones and joints since I'd started taking the 20,000 IU of Vitamin D per day. I told her that I had but that it hadn't occurred to me that it might be because of the Vitamin D. I asked her if I should be able to feel the effects after only 2 days and she assured me that I should because of the high dosage. I'm so surprised! I'm also elated!! Even though it wasn't sunny today, I've felt like a big old ray of sunshine has been shining on me all day. Maybe that's why they call Vitamin D "The Sunshine Vitamin". Whatever it is, I feel great today and am so happy to feel this good! Yes, I still have some aches ... especially in my right calf ... but I feel very noticeable improvements and that's so encouraging!

Tonight I'm going walking with Erin again.

Update on Don - He's in a private room now at St. Paul's and is much more comfortable now that he's out of emergency. His stomach and fever have been stabilized since he got there and now they're working on figuring out what has been causing his problems. And that's good.



  1. Glad you are feeling better! My doctor doesn't think I need to be tested for Vitamin D :o(

  2. Oh Berny! I hope you didn't let your Doctor off with that. I think you should tell him that if he won't authorize the test, you'll just go to another Doctor who will. I really think it's important from what I've learned. Here's a link to another article that might be of interest ...

    You might want to print an article about Vitamin D for your Doctor ... one that specifically talks about Vitamin D and it's link to breast cancer. Here's one from a November 2009 Globe & Mail article

    The article talks about how important Vitamin D might be in slowing the progress of breast cancer and might be preventative, as well. Oncologists are now starting to include the use of Vitamin D in conventional cancer treatments.


Sorry for the word verification thing. Without the comment spammers are relentless!

Thanks for commenting!