Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Wieghty Issues

Peculiar. I've read the warnings about chemo and weight gain. Most women gain an average of 15 pounds on chemo for various reasons. Susan, who had a "sister-tumour" to mine, gained 25 pounds during the course of her chemo (though she lost it within the year after). I've tried to mentally prepare myself for that reality even though it's a bit of a kick in the backside considering the weight gain I've struggled with over the past 5 years.

Knowing that and knowing that it's also important to eat well to keep blood counts high and immune system fighting, I've resigned myself to gaining that weight and I haven't restricted my diet at all. All that said, I'm happy to report that I've lost 8 pounds since the start of my chemo. I'm amazed because aside from a few days, my appetite has been very good and I've been eating well and heartily. I don't know if it's the extra water I've been drinking, the inclusion of freshly ground flax seed, extra fruit and vegetables ... I don't know. Whatever it is, I'm very glad of it. If I can eat a very healthy diet and not count calories AND lose weight, YEAH!!! I would patent it if I understoond.

On a cautionary note, maybe it's the last three chemo injections that are the ones that will cause weight gain. Still, if I gain later on that drug after having lost on this one, maybe I can break even.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry for the word verification thing. Without the comment spammers are relentless!

Thanks for commenting!