Pages

Friday, December 18, 2009

Another Book Finished

Last night I finished reading Bel Canto by Ann Patchett.

I thought it had such promise. Intriguing premise, interesting characters, all kinds of possible directions for the story to go. But it failed to hold me and turned out, for me, to be a big disappointment. Even though the story was dragging for me, I continued just because I was interested in the characters and I felt that surely something truly interesting was going to happen. The ending just seemed like a last minute, tacked on piece; as though the author had painted herself into a corner and just needed a quick way out. Very disappointing. I can't recommend it.

I must say, though, that there are several readers who have reportedly found it "enchanting" and "satisfying" and the book has won awards. You'll find the synopsis and some reviews at Amazon.
Share/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment

Sorry for the word verification thing. Without the comment spammers are relentless!

Thanks for commenting!