Pages

Friday, July 31, 2009

The Early Morning Drudge Report

Well, yesterday turned out to be a write off. I spent the day on the couch wishing for sleep but only getting in a few, short naps. I'd wake up thinking, "YES! I SLEPT!", to find I'd only slept 20 minutes. Cheryl, Carol and Sylvia stopped by to find me in my semi-comatose and rather unattractive state. Friends and family are okay with that, thank God! Thanks for the cheery, rose Gerbera daisy, Carol.

I was in bed by 10:00 last night and mercifully slept from 10:30 until 2:30. Okay, there was one bathroom break in there but I fell back to sleep right away so it doesn't count. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get back to sleep after the 2:30 pee break and I finally dragged my sorry ass out of bed at 5:30 because ... well ... what's the point? I think I'll try going back to bed after this little update.

Good thing I still have some back-up flower photos to post. I haven't had the energy to fire up the camera. How sad is that?! I'm glad I have pretty flowers to post because they seriously contrast how un-pretty I'm feeling right about now. Like Anne said, "I feel like a dork"! This, too, shall pass, I remind myself.

One other thing ... I have a little occasional stabbing pain about 3 or 4 inches to the left of my belly button. Does anyone with more anatomical knowledge than I know what lies under there? I felt the same pain for a day or two after I was so sick last weekend and attributed it to the sudden workout my unprepared stomach muscles got. But it's odd that it started up again yesterday. Hmmmm ... If anyone has any suggestions, I'd be glad to hear. I haven't had the energy to do any research myself. Maybe later.

If anyone's wondering, I hope to get a lot of sleep today. I hope. I hope. I hope. Syl (aka: Nurse Cratchet ... though that doesn't sound nearly as nice as she really is) will be giving me my first of 5 Neupogen injections this morning ... but after that, I hope to be in lala land as much as possible.

PS to Nora: I could sure use your editing skills. Already I've edited this entry for typos about 6 times! Every time I look at it, I see another mistake! And I've probably still missed some!

Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

  1. Hi Heather,

    Ok, I am doing it, I am writing on your blog.

    I am sorry to hear you are having trouble sleeping. My art teacher used to do a relaxation exercise with the class to help us release our "inner creativity" (it also really helped Foster get to sleep when he first came back from Afghanistan). When you lay down get nice and comfortable. Then think about your toes, focus on them, then tell them to relax... breath in slowly and when you exhale imagine all the stress and weight flowing out of your toes like sand. Then think about your feet and tell them to relax, imagine all the stress leaving them and becoming light then your ankles, then your shins, etc and go through all of your limbs until well... you are asleep (In know it sounds retarded but Foster never made it past his knees).

    Nora comented yesterday that having her toe nails painted red made her feel like a (I can't remember the exact term) painted woman... since red is the only colour I paint my toe nails...

    I remain your every devoted support "Ho"

    Norma

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Heather
    No one cares about mistakes in your blog. All we care about is you! Mistakes just mean your fingers are fumbly because you're so worn out tired from not being able to sleep. Part of the problem is that you're not getting that much exercise these days so maybe your body just doesn't need the rest. I know how frustrating it is though to wake up in the night and not be able to get back to sleep. It happens to me all the time! I lie there and think about quilts.

    Re the pain in your belly, I'm afraid I have no anatomical knowledge to impart. Anything I might suggest would be pure speculation. It will probably just go away like all the other strange symptoms you get. I was glad to hear that the boa constrictor side effect was not as bad this time. Isn't it weird how our bodies respond to things? I will call you tomorrow to see if you are visitable. You don't have to get dressed!
    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Norma! Welcome to blog posting! Good work!

    Funny you should mention the melting body technique. I know it, too, and even tried it but those drugs that make me "tired by wired" just didn't let it work for me. Very frustrating.

    I used to use a similar technique with my kids when they were little except I called it playing "doctor". When I knew they were a little worked up and needed to wind down, I would get out a stethoscope and tell them I wanted to listen to their heart, lungs and tummies. They loved it. I'd start with them sitting, listen slowly all over their backs, having them take slow, deep breaths all the while talking to them and telling them how strong and healthy they are using a soft, droning voice. Then I'd have them lie down and I'd check their hearts and tummies. And then I'd start on their limbs, moving their joints to make sure they're all working properly, then feeling each finger, massaging their hands and arms and them moving on to their toes and feet. I almost never made it to their knees either, just like Foster, before they were asleep. Sometimes one would fall asleep just listening to me drone on to the other. And then I'd sing to them for a while just to make sure they were total goners. Last night, while I was trying to sleep, your telling of your story had me thinking about all of this. I was trying to list off in my head all the songs I used to sing to them. There were a lot ... quite a range. For their ears only and even then I had to stop singing to Hannah after Hannah had a couple of years of voice training because I just couldn't hold up technique-wise... though that was me telling me that, not her.

    Thanks for stories and memories, Norma. You're a great Red-Toe-Nail-Painted Ho to have on my team! Personally, I'm big on red toe nails, too! Scandalous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Nora! Thanks for your sensibilities and encouragement! I'm still waiting for the boa constrictor to emerge but so far so lucky!

    With your comments in mind, I made a concerted effort to get out for a walk today. Besides, I feel a little more energetic today and really needed to break out of my bubble for a while! It was great. Mom and I walked to Broadway. I got a little tired and a little peckish so we stopped for a bite and a sit in a cool place and then carried on our way back home after buying some bold 2 for $5 earrings just to say we did.

    I'll look forward to hearing from you and, even more, to your visit! And believe me, I'll be dressed for it! Trust me, you wouldn't wish it otherwise though I know you would be most accepting of anything, you being you!

    ReplyDelete

Sorry for the word verification thing. Without the comment spammers are relentless!

Thanks for commenting!